Let’s keep this simple and let’s keep this short, put down the can of cranberry sauce and read this quick recipe. Why? Do you really want to eat that overly sweet, rigid shaped, who knows how long it’s been on the shelf cranberry sauce/jelly? If you do… ok… but just read on a little longer for my sake, maybe you might change your mind. Homemade cranberry sauce comes together in one small pot, a few stirs and your own taste buds determining how sweet or tart you want it.
It’s literally one of the easiest things to make for Thanksgiving, plus it can be made ahead of time and just popped onto the table come feast time. This sauce is comprised of cranberries, an orange, for zest and the juice, sugar and honey and that’s all. If you don’t have honey you can just stick with the sugar to make it even easier.The ingredients are cooked down and the lovely tart cranberries start to slowly break down into a heavenly sauce.No can opener needed, no sharp edges to cut your finger on and don’t feel bad for the can, the same company usually sells the fresh ones, so they aren’t missing out.
- 1 orange for zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice from above orange
- 1/4 cup sugar to taste preference
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 12 ounces cranberries (fresh or defrosted)
- Warm orange juice and honey in a medium pan over medium heat. Cook until warm to the touch and honey is dissolved, about 2 minutes, do not boil.
- Stir in cranberries, orange zest, sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gradual simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes. Stirring frequently keeps the sauce from sticking and burning to the sides of the pot. To create a thicker texture, you can mash several cranberries with a wooden spoon and continue to cook 2-3 more minutes.
- This recipe is for a very tart orange cranberry sauce, if you prefer a sweeter sauce add more sugar or honey to taste.
- Let the sauce cool before serving, yet can be served warm as well. The cranberry sauce can be stored covered in the refrigerator and used for a week. It can also be frozen and used in the future at anytime.
- This recipe is tart, please add as much or little sugar to taste.