As you can tell from my last few recipes, I have been on an Asian food influence joy ride. To add I have also been craving those good old 5 for $1 pan fried dumplings from my Brooklyn neighborhood… dipped in a soy sauce and sriracha mixture. Besides wonderful strange cravings that have preoccupied my mind, job searching has also preoccupied my mind and I haven’t been sharing my recipes lately… I apologize for that traitor behavior…but alas it’s time to get back to work.. hobby wise and more thorough career searching. A little camping also put my life on a no wifi, no data service, hiatus. The trip itself was filled with adventure, some extreme weather, long hikes, and gorgeous views, I had an amazing 1st time camping experience with my husband at the Lake District, highly, highly recommend a trip there.
Back to the not so serious talk.. mango chicken… spicy, bursting with fresh mango, crispy peppers and tender chicken smothered in a homemade mango sauce. This mango sauce didn’t have much trial and error.. it actually came out pretty perfect the first time with just a slight tweak on the amount of fish sauce. This was an experiment that worked using just a bunch of ingredients, my taste buds, and a memory of a mango chicken dinner I had with a best friend.
Besides the sauce the rest is simply timing the ingredients to insure the chicken is still tender…
… the peppers are cooked lightly but still crisp…
… the sauce is added and quickly tossed with the ingredients to coat evenly…
… and finally the mango slices join in to just warm up and they add so much freshness, fragrance, and flavor to the entire meal.
The spicy mango chicken can be served with any rice.. maybe even some coconut rice for another layer of flavor.
Why not add a mango mojito to keep the mojo going throughout the meal.
It’s simple, it’s quick, and best of all you don’t have to wait for a table at the restaurant to eat it or buy some vinegar filled mango wanna be sauce at the supermarket.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or sunflower oil (any light oil)
- 2 large chicken breasts, washed, dried and sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 3/4 mango, sliced into thin strips
- spicy mango sauce
- 1/4 cubed mango
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander
- 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce (you can use less)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger paste (or fresh ginger)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 hot red chili, chopped (more if you want a very spicy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- drop or two of white or rice vinegar
- Place all the ingredients for the mango sauce in a food processor, magic bullet, or a bowl/container using an immersion blender. Blend/process the sauce until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add additional water if the sauce seems to thick, or additional chilies if you would like it hotter. Set aside the sauce.
- Warm coconut oil in a large pan or wok under medium to medium high heat. Add chicken strips and sauté until lightly browned on each side, yet not fully cooked. Add the red and green pepper strips and sauté 3 minutes longer or until the chicken is fully cooked and the peppers are slightly tender. Pour in almost all the mango sauce, leaving a several teaspoons for extra topping later, toss and turn quickly to coat each piece of chicken and all the peppers. Finally toss in the sliced mango strips and cook for 1-2 more minutes, tossing quickly to incorporate the sauce and mango into the meal. Serve hot with white/brown/coconut rice or grains and leftover mango sauce for extra dipping.
- makes 2 large servings